Food is good. That is all… Just kidding. 🙂
One of my classmates has a husband that goes hunting every now and then. The last time he went out, he and his friend ended up with a very large catch (is it called “catch” when you go hunting? IDEK). Luckily, my classmate knows I’m a foodie and last week she gave me some of the deer meat – a roast portion and some meat that she had ground – which was awesome! The last time I had venison was maybe back in 2010/11 when I was still living in Georgia and got some home-ground venison sausage from a friend (her father was a hunter) down in Jacksonville, Florida.
I took the venison roast and slow cooked it in the crock pot with some onions, jalapenos, and other stuff (I can’t recall everything I put in there, it was just whatever I had on hand) plus seasonings and cooked it for about 5 hours or so.
Served it on a bed of goat cheese, parm, garlic and chives mashed potatoes.
The venison was sooooo buttery tender, moist, and it was simply delicious (BTW that’s plated for my husband, lol, I can’t eat that much in one setting). It wasn’t gamey at all, in fact, I think the goat cheese in the mash was gamey-er (is that even a word?). But yum. My classmate mentioned that she’d give me more if I liked it, so I’m hoping she does, because I’d rather eat venison than beef any day! It’s much leaner than beef anyway. The only negative thing was/is that my hubs didn’t care for it 100%, I think it’s just in his head… so next time I fix it (like the ground meat), I just won’t tell him that it’s not beef!
Tonight I was in one of those “I really don’t want to cook, don’t know what to cook, wish I could order out” kind of moods. But ended up finding a recipe for a savory bread pudding – Parmesan Bread Pudding with Broccoli Rabe and Pancetta, which sounded interesting. [Recipe link] I didn’t have some of the ingredients, so did some substitutions, plus tweaking:
- instead of olive oil, used coconut oil, even though I do have olive oil, I’ve been trying to use the latter more in cooking
- omitted the pepper flakes
- used broccoli instead of broccoli rabe, also used 1/4 of a zucchini
- 2% milk instead of whole milk
- had about 3 pieces of stale raspberry & orange morning rounds left (they look like pita bread, but smaller and have a moister interior), so used that and also use Oat Nut bread instead of country white bread
- didn’t have any pancetta, so added some ground beef (to satisfy the meat portion that I knew my husband would complain about not getting – he still complained that there wasn’t enough meat… :/)
- also added 3 chopped green onions, minced shallot, minced jalapeno, as well as the following seasonings: cayenne, dried minced orange peel, garlic powder, onion powder
- topped it with sliced vine ripened tomatoes and mozzarella
- and cooked it for about 55 mins total in the oven.
It was good! Flavorful, moist, and hearty. And very filling.
FYI I don’t cook like this all the time! And I only post about it when it looks decent, haha.